CONTACT: 07 4032 0077
(International: +61 7 4032 0077)
Chillagoe Caves & Outback Day Tour
1 Day Chillagoe, Mareeba & Australian Outback Tour
Departs from Cairns, Northern Beaches & Port Douglas
Billy Tea Safaris is a small locally owned tour operator, which operates small personalised tours with custom built 4WD vehicles, and your naturalist guides have extensive knowledge of flora, fauna, history of the area and aboriginal culture, which will ensure your day will be a memory of a lifetime.
Your day begins when your accredited guide meets you at your accommodation Cairns CBD around 6.45am, Holloway’s Beach and Yorkey’s Knob will be approximately 7.00am, and after introductions all round We’ll ascend the McAllister Ranges and head west through dirt tracks via the little town of Biboorha, looking for many different species of bush birds, including Emus, Wedge Tail Eagles, Squatter Pigeons and Kangaroos, Frilled Neck Lizards, before reaching our first stop.
Please note: If you're thinking of driving to Chillagoe in your hire car you need to check with your company that you can take your car on a dirt road. The road to Chillagoe is not sealed all the way. If you can't drive... come on our tour!
Highlights of Your Day in the Outback
- Travel off the beaten track down exclusive 4WD backroads
- See birdlife on a boat cruise of Clancy's Lagoon at Mareeba Wetlands
- Spot kangaroos, emus, wallabies, wedge-tail eagles (wildlife galore!) all day in the Outback
- Drive past diverse dry tropical farmlands
- Pass through historic mining ghost towns and small outback communities
- Find fossils in ancient limestone casts at Chillagoe
- Explore the famous Chillagoe Caves
- View the once booming Chillagoe smelter ruins
- Eat a huge Outback Aussie lunch in 100-year-old pub
- Chat with a true blue Aussie outback local!
- Small-group tour in a luxury 4WD
Mareeba Wetlands for morning tea and a twenty-minute cruise in an environmentally friendly and quiet electric boat. This is a magnificent setting and to see the Giant Lotus Lilly's up close and also many different Water Birds as well. You will learn about the fragile Eco System of this wonderful reverse and also see the Rare Gouldian Finch breeding program.
4WD Through the Outback
From here we board the custom built 4WD vehicle and travel through the back blocks of this wetland area viewing Wallabies, Emus and other wildlife and then along the agricultural paddocks of this fertile area, where you will have a chance to see, Paw Paw, Lychee, Longen, Mangoes, just to name a few eventually crossing over the Great Divide and into the Western watershed, we are now in the Australian Outback. (We may sometimes have to take our Wet Weather alternate from the Wetlands when the road is impassible, we will then visit Granite Gorge) Take a step back in time as we travel through historical towns and rolling hills rich in mineral eventually giving way to towering limestone karsts scattered around Chillagoe Township.
Chillagoe Smelters & Famous Chillagoe Caves
Here we delve into the history of the Chillagoe copper smelters, whose old chimneys dominate the western horizon.
We visit the remains of the once mighty smelters to ponder what it was like working there…. Now it’s time for a wonderful lunch at a true Australian Outback Pub built back at the turn of the century, before setting off to have a look at this historical town on route to our National Parks guided Chillagoe Cave tour where you will take a step back in time and be inspired by the knowledge of your guide as he explains about the fossilized remains of the ancient coral reefs some 400 - 420 million years old, with hidden limestone labyrinths give a portal to a lost world just like our own Great Barrier Reef. This was once the inland sea.
Millions of years in the making, the limestone formations and Chillagoe Caves are nothing short of spectacular.
After the cave tour, we head back towards the east coast, stopping for a comfort stop along the way.
The tour then returns back down the range arriving back in Cairns at approximately 6.30pm.
Please ensure that you wear closed in footwear for the cave tour, please. No Thongs or High Heels on this tour.
CONTACT: 07 4032 0077
(International: +61 7 4032 0077)
Prices valid from 1st April 2016 until 31st March 2017.
Adults $230 per person Child (0 - 14 years) $175 per child Pensioner $220per pensioner (Australian Pensioner Only) Family (2 adults + 2 children) $675 Extra Child $130
Prices valid from 1st April 2017 until 31st March 2018.
Adults $240 per person Child (0 - 14 years) $185 per child Pensioner $230per pensioner (Australian Pensioner Only) Family (2 adults + 2 children) $705 Extra Child $140
Please be aware there is a 24-hour cancellation policy of 100% cancellation fee. No exceptions.
- Billy Tea will supply the Booster Seat or Baby Seat please advise upon booking.
- Turtle Cove, Thala Beach Resort, and Port Douglas will incur a $67.00pp return transfer fees this is based on a minimum of 2 passengers. (If a single will have to pay for two places) (Prices for transfers may change) ends 31st March 2017
- Turtle Cove, Thala Beach Resort, and Port Douglas will incur a $72.00pp return transfer fees this is based on a minimum of 2 passengers. (If a single will have to pay for two places) (Prices for transfers may change)for 1st April 2017 - 31st March 2018
- If you can make your way to our pickup point which is the Canopy's Edge Bus Stop bottom of the Kuranda Range, there is no transfer fee.
- Credit card fees apply of 2% for Mastercard, Visa and 3.5% for Amex.
- Please Check our Terms and Conditions for our Cancellation Policy.
Tour operates Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
(Or by request on other days requiring minimum numbers) Tour does not operate Good Friday, 17th July or Christmas Day.